Thursday, December 24, 2009

Oreo Balls and Peppermint Bark

Over the past week I have been trying to catch up on making my cookies and candies. I am very late this year so I am only making small batches to last now until New Year's Eve, then I am back to salads!

I think everyone makes Oreo Balls. They are simple to mix up and quite good. I cannot remember where I got the recipe, it seems to be on every website and blog. The person that dreamed these up is genius. I tend to only make them at Christmas but they can be made throughout the year and decorated according to the occassion.


Oreo Balls
Crush 1 package of Oreos in a food processor. Add one 8 oz brick of cream cheese. Form 1 inch balls and refrigerate til hard. Dip each ball in melted chocolate using 2 forks and place on wax paper. Decorate with sprinkles or drizzle with colored choclate.

This is my first year making Peppermint Bark. Lesson learned, get really good chocolate when you make these. I did not and although these are good, they would be better with a really good white chocolate. I did a mixture of starlight candies and candy canes. The starlight mints mostly break up into white pieces so they are good for adding into the chocolate but you need the candy canes to decorate the top.
Peppermint Bark
8 oz white chocolate
8 oz chocolate
1/2 tsp mint extract
20 crushed peppermint candies
Prepare 8x8 dish by lining with foil and spray with cooking spray. Melt chocolate in microwave. It usually takes under a minute. Stir in 1/4 tsp of mint extract and then spread in pan. Place in refrigerator while you melt white chocolate in microwave. Stir in 1/4 tsp of mint extract and most of the crushed candies. Spread over chocolate layer and then decorate with remaining crushed candies.

No comments:

Post a Comment