Monday, February 22, 2010

Ida'a Green Bean Casserole

Many years ago I was given a school cookbook from Canada, much like the church cookbooks that everyone has in their cookbook collections. I have cooked numerous recipes from this book and I can't think of anything that has not been good. This recipe caught my eye and I have been making it for about 15 years. We have it at Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter. Whenever I eat the traditional green bean casserole, I feel like it is missing something! This casserole has a crunch from the corn and water chestnuts and a nice flavor between the vegetables, cheese and cream sauce.

Gena's Green Bean Casserole
Adapted from Ida's Green Bean Casserole

2 cans green beans
1 can corn
1/2 can of water chestnuts, diced fine

Filling:
8 oz sour cream
1 can cream of celery soup
1/3 cup chopped onions
3 tbsp mayo
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese

Topping:
1 sleeve of Ritz Crackers, crushed
1 stick of butter

Drain and mix all of the vegetables in a buttered 2 quart casserole dish. Mix the filling ingredients in a large bowl and then spread over the vegetables. Using a spoon, slightly mix the cream filling with the vegetables. Mix the topping ingredients together and sprinkle on top of casserole. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes.

Print recipe

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment