Sunday, January 17, 2010

Bubble and Squeak

I have heard this dish called several different names. My husband grew up in a polish family and when they had this dish, it was call Bubble and Squeak. A friend of mine would always say she was frying up cabbage and egg noodles. I always thought is sounded gross. Well, I was watching Diners, Drive Ins and Dives and this dish was made at one of those small diners. Everyone raved about the dish. I looked around on the web for the recipe and I found it called Haluski. The recipe was basically noodles, cabbage, onions, and butter. As I was cooking it, my husband remembered that bacon was always in the version he had when he was growing up.

Here is what I came up with and it is pretty good.


Haluski with Bacon
1 stick of butter
1 head of cabbage, shredded
1 large onion, diced
6 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
12 oz egg noodles

Melt butter in large skillet. Add cabbage, and onion. Cook covered on medium low heat until tender. While cabbage and onions cook, boil water and cook noodles according to package.

Once cabbage and onions are soft, add noodles and bacon and cook over a medium heat. You will start to hear it "bubble" and "squeak". Cook for about 15 minutes.

The leftovers reheat beautifully.
Note: The last time I made this I used bacon bits, the "real" kind in a bottle. It turned out just as good and saved me the time and mess of cooking the bacon.

Print Recipe

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment