Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Cinnamon Roll Cookies

This is Baylee again.

Today, I decided I'd take over the blog again!

Well, this time I ACTUALLY cooked!

I was flippin' through this Favorite Brand Name Bake Sale Cookbook and I found a recipe for "Cinnamon Roll Cookies"

Little did I know that I obviously did not inherit the cooking gene from my mother...


Here's how it went...
        
           Alright so... I got all my ingredients out and reread the recipe (because I usually end up leaving something out or mixing it all together at once instead of reading directions)



(Full recipe @ bottom)
Ingredients
Cinnamon Mixture:
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Cookie Dough:
1 cup Butter Flavor CRISCO* all-vegetable shortening or 1 Butter Flavor CRISCO* Stick
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

First off, combine cinnamon mixture in a small bowl.Set aside.

(Pretty self-explanatory..just make cinnamon)

In a larger bowl, combine shortening and brown sugar. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until blended well. Beat in eggs and vanilla.




In a separate bowl, mix together flour, salt, ground cinnamon, and baking powder. Then add to creamed mixture. 



Here's my mistake but I don't really think it matters..  

 

I read it wrong and didn't add the flour so I mixed in the salt, cinnamon, and baking powder without the flour and I just added the flour separately later.

It looked fine to me.


Turn dough onto sheet of waxed paper. Spread dough into 9x6-inch rectangle using rubber spatula. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons cinnamon mixture to within 1 inch from edge. 


(I failed to read the 1-inch part too. Does it really make a difference?? I guess I'll find out..) 

Roll-up jelly-roll style into log. Dust log with remaining cinnamon mixture. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

Mine looks like this so far... I hope it's normal. The book did say it would crack easily.


I have some advice: when you roll the dough, it tends to stick the wax paper (or at least mine did) so I used a spatula to scoop it up so it wouldn't tear.


Ehhhh..... I managed to fix most of the cracks but there is still one. I guess it gives it character.

4 Hours Later...

What's weird is that the rest of the recipe has two different temperatures for baking.

Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray cookie sheets with CRISCO* No-stick cooking spray. 

Slice dough 1/4 inch thick. Place on prepared cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes. Or until lighting browned on top. Cool on cookie sheets for 4 minutes; transfer to cooling racks. Makes about 5 dozen.

I ended up baking it at 350 for 14 minutes because I cut mine too thick. My dad told me to burn some because he likes crunchy cookies but, they are already extremely crunchy cookies. So, if you're the type who likes gooey melt-in-your-mouth cookies...these are not for you.
Alright well here's how my cookies turned out!
(For the icing, I just used powdered sugar mixed with water)

The cookies in the book must be fake.
No one can make them look that perfect.

 
Also, next time I make something, I'll try to not pick a recipe that requires rolling the dough. Remember Palmiers?

More Cookies we've made from this cookbook:
Dishpan Cookies
Ultimate Chocolate Chip Cookies
Cinnamon Roll Cookies
Ingredients

Cinnamon Mixture:
4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

Cookie Dough:
1 cup Butter Flavor CRISCO* all-vegetable shortening or 1 Butter Flavor CRISCO* Stick
1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. For cinnamon mixture, combine granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.

2. For cookie dough, combine 1 cup shortening and brown sugar in large bowl. Beat at medium speed with electric mixer until well blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla until well blended. 

3. Combine flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Add to creamed mixture; mix well.  

4. Turn dough onto sheet of waxed paper. Spread dough into 9x6-inch rectangle using rubber spatula. Sprinkle with 4 tablespoons cinnamon mixture to within 1 inch from edge. Roll-up jelly-roll style into log. Dust log with remaining cinnamon mixture. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

5. Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray cookie sheets with CRISCO* No-stick cooking spray. 

6. Slice dough 1/4 inch thick. Place on prepared cookie sheets. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 8 minutes. Or until lighting browned on top. Cool on cookie sheets for 4 minutes; transfer to cooling racks. Makes about 5 dozen.

 




No comments:

Post a Comment